Thursday, March 3, 2011

Race Preparations

Sunday will be the start of the 39th running of the Iditarod. It is always a little more fun to follow the race when you pick a musher to follow. This year I'm watching Heather Siirtola from Talkeetna. I met her this summer at the West Rib, a quaint local Talkeetna hangout...she was tending bar, just one of the three jobs she juggles to make ends meet. Her kennel is Hardcore Huskies and yes...she has a website. I believe this is her fourth Iditarod.

I'm working away at my Iditarod quilt....


96 blocks to make for the center design panel. The trimmed corners from my strip components need to be sewn together to make HST...384. If my math is correct I actually need 544 HST to make the smaller star blocks for a border...wow.

Just like the mushers...I decided I needed to get preparations for this quilt underway well before the start of the race. Heather has dropped all her dog food off for an airlift to preposition food along the route. I'm sure sewing in my warm sewing room will be much easier than her tasks so no more whining. 

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good luck to Heather and the race - are there more women entering in the race then there used to be? It always sounds like fun but very hard work!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/