Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Musée Rodin

Just a few blocks from our apartment is a small museum devoted to the sculpture of Rodin. There are also changing exhibitions at the museum. It was a great pick for our first day. My friends arrived about 6 a.m. and by the time we were back to the apartment and had eaten...it was time for them to take a nap. I woke them up and we headed out the door about 3:30 p.m. which gave us plenty of time since the museum was open until 5:45 p.m.


I'm no art expert...this is just a glimpse of my world. This is the work I associate with Rodin, "The Thinker." Rodin was a sculptor who pushed outside the classical ideas of sculpture. Much of his renowned work is bronze sculpture. There was a special exhibit of his work in marble and his studies in clay. He is known for the technique, "non finito." Pretty sure that means...not finished. It was striking to see his smooth carving jutting out from a rough marble surface.


This piece is called, "The Hand of God," and is one I pulled from the museum's website. Spectacular.

Because Rodin worked in bronze there are duplicates of his work around the world. Many of the works in the museum were on display outside around the extensive grounds.  I must go back in the spring when the gardens are blooming.


We lost sight of my son and later found he went to the cafe just to the left of the reflecting pool and had a beer.  I thought it was funny to note...though the cafe I'm sure was not meant to be a diversion from the artwork at the museum...it was for my son who always seems to be hungry.

Many of the bronze sculptures we saw were repeated in the work, "Gates of Hell," which took Rodin 37 years to complete. I borrowed this photo from the internet. It was a dark, cloudy day when we visited the museum...my photos are a little dark.


Dante's Inferno is the inspiration for this piece. I greatly feel a lack of education when it comes to museum sites but I am enjoying learning. You can see, "The Thinker," sitting in the middle just under the top three figures. Rodin had over 200 figures in this piece...kind of like a compilation of many of his works.

This was my favorite piece...and I don't know who the sculptor is...I forgot...have to get the name next time. I know I'll be visiting this museum again.


Oh...and there were some bonus paintings inside one of the buildings. Some by Renoir and this Van Gogh. A nice little surprise.


And that was just the first two hours of my friends' five-day visit! 

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it must have been fun for you to have so much company! so much to see and do - being in the city there must be a new thing to do almost every day!