Monday, September 23, 2013

Second Day of Fall...


SNOWING
The good news is some of my new furniture has arrived. We have a sweet little table with chairs to sit at our prow-front windows and check out the view. I had the joy (heavy sarcasm) of driving in a little ice this morning. It's supposed to be in the 40's tomorrow with lots of sunshine.

Last week I painted our garage...which first required moving almost everything in it to get to the walls. (I didn't move the two airplane wheels...not many people have those in their garage!). It was an exhausting week that was not fun! I painted a semi-gloss grey color on the walls. I dooooo noooot understand why garages are always painted with a flat white paint...if it is painted at all. After moving out of our last house and seeing the horrible filth on our garage walls I was determined to get washable paint in our new garage. I wasn't consulted the day the garage was painted so of course my husband went with painter's recommendation of flat white paint.


Here's the other side....much more stuff that had to be moved. Looks like an episode of, "Hoarding."


We are planning to install shelving next week all along the walls and then put everything away. Then I can finish painting the ceiling. More fun! 

Just a little info about garages in Alaska...most of them are heated and are soooo important in our extreme climate. This is going to be a sweet man-cave when it is done. My husband wants to have the floor painted too...which in our family means another job for me. My husband is not allowed to hold a paint brush...we tried that early in our marriage. I'll put that chore on the list for next summer. Too late with snow flying to paint the floor this year.

But I almost forgot about the best part of the week! I won a blog give-away! Lori from Night Owl Quilting and Dye Works sent me this gorgeous scarf she hand-dyed. It is so wonderfully soft. I never leave our Paris apartment without a scarf so this is a great gift. Thank you Lori!


 And I also won a copy of her latest pattern designed with her quilting partner, Kathy from Tamarack Shack, Alternate Routes. It is designed to use two fabrics but I'm pulling a third fabric in for the HSTs. This will be a project I take to work on in Paris.


I do have a finish...another cross-stitch Santa. Williamsburg Santa. Adorable!

6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the snow looks pretty but yes a bit early in the year perhaps! I had heard that garages are heated in Alaska and I have heard of some that do that in the northern states also and if they don't they have plug ins for engines. My husband actually had to plug his diesel truck in this winter a couple times so it would start easier - we had several nights that got quite cold.

Lori S said...

Oh it is still too early for snow! Glad you like the scarf. I can't wait to see your version of Alternate Routes, your fabric choices are gorgeous - I love the batiks you chose!

Donna quilts said...

Unbelievable to see snow in September! But the first snow fall always looks so pretty on the trees. Lucky you to have won the scarf and pattern. Looking forward to see what colours you choose for it.

Calicojoan said...

I must have missed something. Your not in Europe anymore? I couldn't imagine leaving Alaska. It's my favorite place on earth! Still hoping to be a resident, but it hasn't happened yet. I just visit my friends and dream! LOL!

Kathy Schwartz said...

Not snow already, I hope we have a few more weeks until I see that out my window.
Looking forward to seeing your version of our pattern put together!!

Lynette said...

I love the Colonial Santa! Your snow picture really tripped me out, even though we had a rousing 34* morning driving to school, laughing at the frosted windows. (Former-Florida people are easily entertained by weather, even though we did this last year...)

and LOL - yes - my Man is not allowed to touch my paint brushes, either. It's rather annoying, because he always gets the easy job of the roller work (under direct, constant supervision), while I'm stuck having to do all the TEDIOUS cutting in, trim work, etc. He's just such a paint-brush murderer. So painting takes a long time to get done. I feel your pain! The semi-gloss looks great. And yeah - WHAT IS IT with the flat white in garages? It does get disgusting and is unwashable for real intents and purposes. I'm tempted to paint ours in some exotic color - but I still have three bathrooms to do (all with the ceilings to do - blech)before I can think about that. It'll be at least 3 months before I get those finished, I'm sure. ;D