Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Crazy Quilter at Work

I need a teenage boy to help me figure out my computers! I am struggling with a few issues but I will muddle through it. I need to get a photo editing program for my PC...any suggestions? I really only know about Adobe photoshop but I haven't used it in many years. I need something simple!

Enough tech talk!

Yesterday, Wednesday, I spent the whole day thinking it was Thursday...really! That night, while talking to hubby I realized my mistake so today is like a bonus day...maybe like a snow day!

I hunkered down to finish my Alaska shop hop quilt. Done. I am three for three since my November arrival in Paris. A finished top each month...quite a pace!

This quilt does have a name, "Northern Wilderness."


I'm thinking about how to get a photo of the full quilt...

This was a kit and I cut out everything about four years ago. There are four borders...lots of opportunities to come up with different sizes than the pattern. The blocks with the sashing came out half an inch larger than the pattern dimensions so I only had to trim the first border down a quarter of an inch all around and I was good to go. What a relief! And for some reason, which of course I don't remember, I had cut the final border at 2" instead of 1 1/2" like the directions so in the end my quilt is 1/2" bigger than the pattern.

Way to much talk about math! Once I start the borders I like to keep going all day until I get them done so I don't have to "remember" where I was at later date.

I also finished two more ornaments...I really just had to tack all the components together last night.


Looking at the photo...I am going to go back and stitch some dimension into them...I'll show you what I mean tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for your finishing quilt !! It's so stunning !!
And the border...mmmm !! so cute !!
Is it possible to have a complete vue of your quilt please ?
Thank you..!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

congrats on a finish! did you bring enough kits with you to keep you busy until you go back to Alaska for the summer? I have heard it is much warmer in Alaska this year than for most of the northern states. My niece in western Alaska says the little village has not had much snow at all and that when they do it has been melting - she has not been able to use her snow mobile but a couple times.

Donna quilts said...

Your quilt looks spectacular! I've never been a big fan of those delectable mountain blocks, but they are perfect as a border for this quilt. Very stunning. You will have to show us a photo of the whole quilt.

Lynette said...

lol!!! I am constantly handing my phone to my 16yo daughter to make it do what I want. ;D Hooray for the flimsy finish - it looks terrific. And those cupcakes are adorable.

Lori S said...

Another beautiful finish! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next.

fiberobsession said...

Oh, so fun to see your quilt! I started my Northern Wilderness January 1 and have 3 blocks done and another almost done. I love this quilt and can hardly wait to get mine to your stage. How did you stitch the appliqué? So far mine is just stuck down and I'm thinking satin stitch on as much as I can and the rest just straight line stitching, but I haven't decided for sure.

fiberobsession said...

I just noticed a few of your pieced blocks are different from mine. I like the crossed canoes block with the kayak. My block is more of a star shape.