Friday, June 13, 2014

Studio Happenings

I'm trying to get back in the swing of creating. I have so many tops to quilt but almost all of them require custom  quilting and it takes me a while to figure out those kinds of designs. I think I might be starting with the hardest.  For days I have been doodling...


In the evenings I have been working on my cross stitch ornaments. I have finished the second ornament in the Jim Shore series of Santas from 2013. These are fun kits but not for beginners. Lots of color changes with the floss and lots of beads! This is "Cozy Christmas Santa."


The unusually warm weather for Alaska in April and May didn't stick around for June. We are back to more of the usual Alaska summer weather, temps in the 50s and often cloudy. The extended daylight hours (19-plus hours as of today) for Alaska do mean incredible flowers despite our short growing season.


These fuchsias have only been hanging outside for a little under a month!


Less than a month for these planters also! I bought a new variety of Lobelia for full sun, "Techno Heat Dark Blue." Love it!!!

My slate planters in front are looking good. I think they get more sun than I realized and I might try more sun-loving plants next year. These shade-loving perennials can go in a flower bed...whenever I get one of those constructed!


One more house project got completed this week but it has led to a new problem...


I  had my chandeliers moved so they align with the dining room table top...that
 left holes in my ceiling that I now need to get repaired...it's always something!

I have more to share about my Bali travels and Singapore but I'm spending extra time at Jazzercise trying to work off all my indulgences...there are only so many hours in a day!

I really hope I can actually get a quilt top loaded on my mid-arm. I am finally committing to a design but...


 it requires marking the top before it's loaded on the frame. I haven't done that before and it looks like it will take me a while.


I used my plexiglass to do a little sample doodling on the real thing...very helpful.


Back to working with my blue marker...

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you have been so busy! I love your flowers and your house- your fireplace is wonderful. The fuchsias are so pretty - I wish I could grow them here - I think a combination of your very cool days and evening mixed with so many hours of light really does it!

Lori S said...

I can't wait to see the progress reports on the quilting. Looks like it will be fabulous.

Donna quilts said...

Your flowers look fantastic and I love that lobelia. Such an intense shade of blue.