Thursday, March 5, 2015

Capturing Tongan Escape

Here's my design wall. I'm so impressed with this BOM! The designer is Sharyn Craig with Cozy Quilt Designs. She has worked in many neat ideas with equally nifty construction methods.


The six, interior chain blocks were all constructed using strip sets so they went together lickety-split. All of the sampler blocks are sashed generously and trimmed to 12 1/2." No need to stretch or ease in areas of the sampler blocks to make them just the right the size. Mine were all darn close but not quite perfect...now they are with the sashing.

And the setting triangles! Love this technique. Strips were cut to size and then the corners trimmed before sewing. A template was included in the pattern that you tape to an acrylic ruler to trim the corners.


 There were three different size templates for the three corner sizes. 


The sewing went so smoothly with this technique!


My favorite part of the entire design is how Sharyn flipped the colors of the corner triangles. She does offer a special acrylic ruler for the corner cutting. I certainly love this border technique and just might have to keep my eyes open for that specialty ruler...I'm sure I need it!

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

That's a nice design. So many BOM patterns seem to stop at the blocks. This one creates a beautiful setting for them too.

Cathy said...

I really like those setting triangles. That's one to keep in mind for future reference.

CecileD said...

Hey Debbie !
I agree with you when you said that you're impressed with this quilt !
All the blocks are different ! And I'm sure that you already think about the quilting ! :)