Friday, February 26, 2016

Show and Tell

Lots of fun quilty pictures ahead.

Here are several versions of the mystery quilt tackled
 in our December and January Breakfast Club meetings.

 



Two, smaller quilts were made in this instance...both with a Dr. Seuss theme.




And my version. My border triangles face differently. I accidentally did the first border wrong and decided I liked it better this way...sometimes those mistakes work out.


The mystery was by Debbie Caffrey, "Quilting Season." It took 18 fat quarters and yardage of a single background fabric.  I used Moda's fat quarter set, "Los Cabos Batiks." This is going to be a fun one to quilt.

This next photo does not do this quilt justice...all these blocks are beautiful embroidered Hummel images


Here's a close up of one of the blocks...so much detail! Impressive even if the embroidery is done my machine!!!


Our class project yesterday was this adorable apron...here is mine. I finished it in class...under four hours. That includes the time I spent shopping for the fabric because I didn't bring any to class.


It is called Criss Cross Pocket Apron by Vanilla House. You can add pocket sections to make the apron larger. It is really a fun and easy design....pretty unique construction techniques. It will be my new longarm apron. It's the only time I wear an apron. I made the medium sized, four pocket apron.


And here is my big project to show off...


This pattern is Beachside Bungalow from Kim Brackett's book, "Scrap-Basket Beauties." I used the bali pop, "Tidepool."


I adore this pattern...it has that double wedding ring feel in a much easier construction format.

The backside....I think I finally found my quilting mojo.


It took 20 hours to quilt this...with a few hours going to a ripping out session. It was worth it to get it right. I wanted a masculine feel to the quilting. I have a very girlie version of this pattern to quilt. I'll probably do a lot of feathers on that version and it will take half the time to quilt!

4 comments:

Ramona said...

Beachside Bungalow is beautiful. Your quilting design is perfect for that one. What a cute apron! It almost makes me want to wear one. :) I like your wayward border better, too. Great mystery quilt!

CecileD said...

Wowow...thank you so much for the pics ! All the quilts are super cute !
The idea to make an aprom is very original and yours is so amazing !!
Love your quilting too ....
I wish you a wonderful WE !

Donna quilts said...

Very talented ladies in your breakfast club! The apron is so cute and practical. Love your Beachside Bungalow quilt - the colors, the quilting - everything!

Kathleen said...

I bought some Hummel embroideries for my machine a long time ago, but haven't done anything with them. Now I have an idea. Yours looks wonderful.

Miss your reports from Paris, but will enjoy hearing about Alaska winters.