Breakfast Club 2016 Mystery Quilt
Our club leader, Marcia, made a mystery from a pattern in this book.
She encouraged the group to exchange colorful batiks, 2 1/2 x 5-inches for the three monthly meetings before our mystery in December. She also suggested we have 4 yards of a dark background fabric. On mystery day, she had us construct one block.
Then she revealed her class sample of how the blocks would come together with one-inch sashing.
We also got to see the original designer's pattern. The book has lots of great quilts and was a nice little Christmas present to ourselves.
My favorite part of Breakfast Club is seeing the individual interpretations of the patterns we make. There was a lot of piecing to this particular project so it has taken several months for the finished and partially finished projects to start appearing at our Show and Tell sessions.
Marge went small and made a runner.
Joyce was one of the first to finish her piecing and get it quilted. She made hers smaller also, 42 blocks instead of the quilt pattern's 80 blocks.
Megan went completely different with her color options. She chose a bubble gum pink background with turquoise blues and bright yellows. She dropped the sashing and created diagonal rows of stars where her blocks met. She also downsized the number of blocks.
We have a second Joyce in the club and I think she is the only one making the 80 block size. She has all her blocks together and is planning to add borders. This quilt has a beautiful rosy tone to it.
Jackie has her blocks sewn together. She downsized to 42 blocks. Borders are her next step too.
Kathy downsized but also went with a completely different colorway. Hers is completely done and gorgeous.
Erin was inspired by Megan's version without the sashing so that's how her blocks were put together. Her strips were cut from a set of state flower fabrics. This picture doesn't do it justice.
It is always fun to see how Rona with change up a pattern. She used a multi-color background with a second dark sashing.
My version is smaller also, 35 blocks. I made a piano key border with a "sashing" piece inserted to line up with the quilt's center. I love to use scrappy borders on scrappy quilt centers and piano keys is the option I most often use. My colors came from a "Splash," Bali pop and layer cake. My background is one of Hoffman's 1895 batiks, Blacklight.
All my scraps were put together to make this little quilt I am calling, "Extra Credit." It is just shy of 40-inches square. I am going to write up a pattern for it. Maybe the ladies in Breakfast Club will save those little half square triangles from their future projects. I usually incorporate the scrappy HSTs into a border but this time I turned them into a quilt. I might just be on the cusp of becoming a small quilt lover.
There are a few more Mystery quilt versions to be revealed at our Show and Tell sessions.