Sunday, March 4, 2018

"Wring" Cleaning

I've decided to create a new season for my part of the world, "Wring." 

A cross between Winter and Spring. Winter takes forever to leave and Spring is very brief. 

We awoke to a few inches of fresh snow this morning but it was nice and sunny today so it had a "Spring" feel in the air. I am tackling cleaning my studio which I expect to take all of March to finish with the rest of my activities.

I spent three days going through quilt magazines, store bought patterns and internet downloaded patterns and getting them organized into notebooks...which I will probably ignore just a much as my previous "basket" system. 

One can try!


And I went through all my finished tops that need quilting and paired them with backing fabrics. I to tend to stock up on wide backings when I catch a good sale. 

I have 27 quilt tops that need to be quilted! EEK!


The good news is only 8 tops are not officially paired with a backing but I do have some options if I don't find any on sale that I think would be a better match. Below is my stash of wide backing batiks. 


I spent all of yesterday organizing two baskets of 2 1/2 strips into these lovely boxes. Many were "sets" that I broke apart. It was very freeing for my artistic mind. I figured if I hadn't been compelled to create with them in the sets I bought them in...it was time to let go and make new sets for the future. All these strips are intact, width of the fabric. Haven't gone through my scraps of 2 1/2-inch strips. I need another big storage bin!


This is the 27th quilt top I finished last weekend. It was a kit but I did add some of my own strips for the braided sections. The kit was extremely heavy on black strips for the last third of each braid. They are supposed to mimic Fireweed which is a very pretty wild plant that is prevalent in Alaska. I took this photo at night...a bit on the bleak side. So much prettier in person.


As luck would have it...I just finished a new rayon batik top that is also the color of Fireweed! I love it when those little serendipitous events occur.


I went with my favorite quickie top pattern that I can make in two hours. No buttons or zippers. Very nice with jeans!

I had lots of bare walls in the house after all the Christmas decorations finally got taken down. Put my latest quilt to be finished in my entryway. Nice and bright!


Off to do more Wring cleaning...

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

could you tell me the name/number of the pattern for the shirt and where I can get it - is the fabric you used stretchy I haven't made anything with rayon so wasn't sure.
love all your organization - you have been busy.

Sally said...

As usual, I'm in awe of your quilts....And I love the way you hang them...I made a note of your instructions when you posted them before and will get Mr. Wonderful to install soon...Stay warm...

Suzanne said...

Wring is a great word...I am going to have to use it here in Utah. We got a few more inches of snow yesterday, but it is suppose to be all melted by the weekend. Good luck with the organizing

Donna quilts said...

Wring cleaning - what a brilliant idea! Because once spring does get to our northern regions, as you said, it is so brief that a person wants to be outside to enjoy every minute of it.

Suz J said...

Love seeing the new quilt up on the wall. It is a great way to celebrate the changing seasons, and a lot more enjoyable than cleaning! You have been very industrious in your organising. I spent a lot of time over Xmas doing a big sewing room organise (not finished yet) and sorting through patterns took up so much time. But I do feel like I have made improvements and have actually started using some of those downloads.